Magellan’s Explorist 200 is a relatively inexpensive ruggedly simple GPS device. It’s easy to learn, and easy to use. It comes with built in maps of North America with major roads and highways. The maps include parks, waterways, city centers, and airports. You can save up to 5 track log files, 500 points of interest and 20 routes. The data is stored in 8 MB of internal memory.
The satellite fix is amazingly good for a device this small. And its small size of 2.2″ W x 4.7″ H x 1.3″ D, and weight of only 5.8 ounces with batteries fits perfectly in your hand. It is made of impact resistant plastic for durability with a water resistant seal, so it’s great if you’re planning a water rafting or camping trip. Keep in mind that the Explorist 200 is a small navigational device. It doesn’t have all the frills that most GPS units have today. It’s great, however, for outdoor use, if you just want something to help you when hiking, backpacking, etc., or for local trips, when you just need a GPS device, and not Bluetooth technology, MP3 players, etc.
The trackback feature works well. The menu buttons are easily pushed, which cause a problem with accidentally pushing them unknowingly. Of course, it is an older device, and Magellan has upgraded since the 200.
It runs off of two AA batteries, and gets up to 18 hours of continuous use. It also has language capabilities to support 10 different languages. It is a good, inexpensive, low-end GPS device. If you need just navigation, and not all the bells and whistles that come with the more expensive units, or if you mostly need an outdoor device, then Magellan’s Explorist 200 may be just what you’ve been looking for. All in all, for outdoor use, Magellan had topped the charts with their products. You can find more expensive Magellan devices, but if you just need something simple, and inexpensive, then the 200 may be for you.
- Built-in maps of North America or Europe make it easy to navigate major roads and highways. Map detail includes parks, waterways, city centers, airports and other major points of interest. Save up to 5 track log files, 500 points of interest and 20 routes to the additional 8 MB of available memory.Intelligently designed for comfortable right or left handed use, the clearly marked keypad provides one-touch access to all your most important features. Joystick controller makes scrolling the simple menus fun and easy. The large backlit display is easy-to-read day or night. Customizable navigation screens show your location, speed, direction, and distance to destination and more, just the way you want it.Put easy-to-use, powerful and affordable GPS in your pocket
- Easy-to-use – Navigate in seconds with simple menus, one-button shortcut to key features and joystick control
- Built-in maps – North American or European basemap shows major roads, parks, waterways and many points of interest
- Large backlit display – Clearly see your GPS information day or night
- TrueFix®technology – Reliable accuracy to within 3 meters
- Track logging – Store 150 track files with 2000 points each
- Customizable navigation screens – Map, Compass, Locator and Satellite Status deliver easy-to-use information
- Advanced power management – Two AA batteries provide up to 18 hours of use. Save power with auto-off”.
- Rugged construction – Encased in rubber armored, impact resistant plastic
- Water resistant – Don’t worry about getting it wet
- Languages – Choose English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Portuguese, Dutch or Norwegian.
- No service fees – Ready to use with no activation required
- Full Warranty – One-year in North America, Two-year in Europe
Product Number: 980771-02
|Case||Rubber armored impact-resistant plastic, water-resistant seal|
|Base Map||8 MB Worldwide- Includes cities, highways, waterways, parks, & airports|
|Size||2.2″ W x 4.7″ H x 1.3″ D (W 5.6 cm x H 11.9 cm x D 3.3 cm)|
|Weight||5.8 oz (164.4 g) – w/ batteries|
|Display||2.25″ diagonal, 4-level grayscale, high resolution (122 x 160), backlit|
|Memory||8 MB user data|
|Antenna||Built-in multidirectional patch|
|Keypad||Nine direct-access keys|
|Joystick||Eight-way easy scrolling w/ push-in instant enter|
|Operating Range||14 to 140°F (-10 to 60°C)|
|Receiver||TrueFixTM 14 channels, WAAS/EGNOS|
|Acquisition Time||Hot: 20 seconds, Cold: 60 seconds, Initial: 2 minutes|
|Update Rate||Once per second|
|Accuracy||3 to 5 meters (10 – 16 feet) – WAAS/EGNOS, < 7 meters (15 feet) – GPS only|
|Velocity||0.1 knots (RMS)|
|Grids||75 including Lat/Lon, UTM, OSGB,MGRS, Finnish, German, Swedish, French, Irish, Swiss, USNG, 1 User Grid (76 Max)|
|Languages||English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian|